Car Antifreeze and Animals: What You Need to Know

Car antifreeze is a toxic liquid that prevents your car’s engine from freezing or overheating. It has a sweet taste and smell that attracts animals, especially dogs and cats. If they drink it, even a little bit, it can cause kidney failure, seizures, coma, and death.

Antifreeze poisoning is common in pets, and can happen any time of the year. Some signs of antifreeze poisoning are vomiting, drooling, weakness, staggering, depression, thirst, urination, and seizures. If you think your pet has ingested antifreeze, call your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 right away. Antifreeze poisoning is an emergency, and every minute counts.

The best way to prevent antifreeze poisoning is to keep antifreeze away from animals. Here are some tips:

  • Store antifreeze in closed containers, and keep them in a safe place where animals can’t reach them.
  • Clean up any antifreeze spills or leaks immediately, and dispose of them safely.
  • Use antifreeze products that have propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol, as they are less harmful to animals. But still be careful with them.
  • Check your car for leaks or damage, and fix them as soon as possible.
  • Don’t let your pets roam outside, especially near roads, garages, or other places where antifreeze may be.
  • Tell your family, friends, and neighbors about the dangers of antifreeze to animals, and ask them to do the same.

At Norris Automotive, we’re all about keeping you safe – and that includes the four legged members of your family, too. If you have any questions, let us know!

Scroll to Top